Photo credit Here
Inspired, I decided to check eBay and Etsy for vintage blue floral fabric. I found three yards of this rayon for $21 and bought it immediately.
It's been sitting in my sewing room for about a month now, while I've been working on other projects. I had some free time tonight (okay, I was supposed to be cleaning, but whatever) so I started on it. I used this pattern that I bought on eBay as part of a lot of seven for $5. The bodice front is a little bit different, but the boatneck and the short kimono sleeves on View 2 are perfect. Besides, I don't want to make an exact copy.
I had just enough fabric. There was a little stain near the bottom and I was worried it would get in the way, but I was able to cut around it.
The bodice was unlike anything I had seen before. It was shaped like an upside down T, and the extensions are actually a belt that fastens in the back. For shaping, there's princess seams on the front and darts on the back. I got my front put together with relative ease; there was a lot of extra fabric I had to work in but it came together.
The next step is not to sew the bodice together at the shoulders and sides like most patterns. In this one, you sew the bodice front to the skirt front first. Then you do the darts in the bodice back.
Then you do the skirt back darts and back slit, and sew the bodice back to the skirt back. Sewing the sides is actually the last step. The instructions have you hem the sleeves and put in the zipper first! I'm going to put in the zipper last like always, because that tends to be where I make any size adjustments.
It's hard to tell if it's even going to fit or look good at this point. It's looking a little like a hairdresser's smock at the moment, but I'm confident it's all going to come together.
Hopefully I will have some time to work on it this week. Orchestra starts again on Wednesday, and that's seriously going to cut into my sewing time!