Monday, April 11, 2011

Lacking Sew-spiration

Readers, when you get in a rut, where do you turn for inspiration?  Do you look at sewing blogs, current fashions, or your friends' wardrobes?  I need some ideas.  The last couple days I've gone in my sewing room and just stared at the wall.  I have no idea what I want to make next!  I have no patterns I'm excited to try, no fabric I'm dying to cut into, and a half-finished dress I've lost interest in.

I bought this pattern today, and while I'm sure it's going to make a cute summer dress, it makes me realize I am always buying "easy" patterns.  Why am I so scared to try a Vintage Vogue?  Why can't I tackle a dress with real sleeves?  Will messing something up make me think I'm a terrible sewer?

Photobucket

I don't want to get to the point where I'm literally sewing through the motions, so I need your help.  Help me get back my sew-jo.  (Wow, I can't believe I just said something that lame.)

I did sew a dress last weekend I'm pretty proud of, so that is something good.  I used Simplicity 5891 and a thrifted bedsheet from Target.  My friend Ellie recently saw the bedding in a movie!

Photobucket

I think it turned out great and it even got an outing to the Art Museum with my friends Ellie and Janie.

Photobucket

I think it looks prettiest hanging in my sewing room, so that is where it will live until I get my inspiration back and something prettier takes it's place.

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. honestly when i get into a lack of sewing motivation, i step away from the machine for a day or two. sometimes it's a super cute pattern that gets me fired up, sometimes a cute fabric, and sometimes it takes more than a couple of days. this past time (the past week or so), it took just pressing thru not wanting to work on unfinished projects (still unfinished btw) and then i got a stellar idea and whipped up a quick knit shirt. knits....so easy and so fast to finish!

    you'll get your mojo back! btw, i LOVE that simplicity pattern (views 1&2 are adorable). in the meantime, i worry about working on harder projects when i get an idea that might use them (last night it was sewing lace applique, it was sleeves another time and piping).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I back away as well...I go out into the world and ignore sewing. And don't fret too much about buying the "easy" patterns. They seem to be all I ever buy. But sometimes, you need to tackle a pattern that seems really scary to get you back into the swing of things. You'll know how to do all the basic stuff and then you'll mentally challenge yourself otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean, sometimes I don't know why but I just 'ain't feeling it'. Hang in there, your sew-jo will return. Love the dress! That bedding fabric is beautiful and it looks great on you with the jacket. Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't be so down on youself. Your dress looks really pretty, and doesn't look easy too sew either. You'll get the sewing drive back. Maybe pick a harder pattern and take it one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get lulls now and again, usually it is when I get too caught up in the next project then don't want to finish the current one or if I am tired from everyday life and just don't get the motivation to sew.

    Have a break, have a warm bath, watch your favourite film and forget sewing for a bit. Then flick through your pattern or fabric stash and wait for that project you have forgotten about to jump out and grab you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just completely obsessed with Pinterest. I go hunting for designer dresses that I would never drop $200 on and then think of how I could make it better. Great inspiration!

    Here's a cute board to start with: http://pinterest.com/labigotera/dresses-i-d-love-to-possess/

    ReplyDelete

Followers