Sunday, April 24, 2011

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!  Mine was pretty great, actually my whole weekend was good.  Friday, Mike and I took off work and drove down to Chicago for the day.  We hit two antique stores and the outlets on the way and bought some decorations for my sewing room (me) and jeans and two pairs of sneakers (Mike).  Then we went to see Arcade Fire!  I've been to hundreds of shows in my life, and I am declaring that one in the top five.   Probably #3.  The energy from the crowd was so good and I wanted to dance and sing at the top of my lungs and I wanted it to never end.  Mike said afterwards that he knew it was a good one because his face hurt from smiling so much.

Saturday we met up with some friends for breakfast, and then stopped at another antique store on the drive home.  It was mostly overpriced furniture and kitchen stuff, but then I found this in a basket full of old linens.  It's from the early 1900's and it fits great and is in nearly perfect condition.  No holes and only one small rust stain.  And it was $18.  I've been trolling eBay and Etsy for Edwardian dresses for months and I never find one my size, and never for that cheap!

Photobucket

I can't wait until it's warm enough to wear it! I also bought this 30's Vogue pattern catalog page to hang in my sewing room. I would love to own either of those dresses!

Photobucket

I bought a couple pieces of fabric and they're not the most interesting, but they were big pieces for cheap.  Both were around $3, and each are 4 yards.  I could use the feedsack print for an apron, and the striped seersucker could make a cute summer skirt. I could try to get fancy and do a chevron?

PhotobucketPhotobucket

We didn't leave with this fur hat, although for $10, maybe we should've. Everyone needs a hat that makes them look like Big Bird, right?

Photobucket

Today I ran three miles and went to Easter brunch with my Dad and sister Alisa, but I still managed to get in some sewing!  I finished Simplicity 5891 and it turned out adorable and almost a little sailor-ish.  I like it so much I'm wearing it tomorrow even though the high is only in the 40s.  Is it ever going to be Spring?

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

In other sewing news, I think I'm abandoning my plaid Butterick.  The plaids don't match on the side seams, the neck band is uneven, and it looks huge.  I'm not too disappointed, I'm only wasting $6 worth of fabric, and I'll try the pattern sometime later with a knit.  It seems better suited for jersey.  Here's where I left off.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Plaids match on the back, at least! The sides are a mess, though.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

I'm not too sad, though, because I already moved on to a blouse pattern from 1956. I'm finally using a feedsack I've had in my stash for months, too.

Happy Easter!

5 comments:

  1. Have you seen the new colette patterns? The ginger looks gorgeous in striped chevron. I reckon it might be a good chance with your striped seersucker. I haven't tried a colette pattern yet, but I'm still on my first dress ever! My next sewing goal is to do a Sencha blouse and then the Ginger skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress was a great find! :) and the hat made me giggle!
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your simplicity dress is gorgeous. I was thinking the same think about the striped fabric and the Ginger skirt! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy I love the dress you picked up at the antique shop! Just beautiful. Your white dress turned out beautifully, and I'm glad you're not too disappointed about the plaid, sometimes things just don't work do they? Can't wait to see what you create next! Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great finds, that Edwardian dress is to die for. I also love your Simplicity dress, bet it looks lovely on!

    ReplyDelete

Followers