Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Continuing work on the Holiday dress

Last night I started on the skirt portion of my Christmas dress.  Having only ever made full skirts, I'm not too familiar with pleats and darts and vents.  Sizing was also a concern.  With full dresses it doesn't matter, as long as the waist fits. 

My first step was to make the two inverted pleats on the skirt front.  I marked the lines with pins.

Photobucket

Then I folded the pins into the center pin, creating a pleat. I pressed it and prepared to baste it into place.

Photobucket

My sewing machine had other ideas.

Photobucket

Can someone please get me a new sewing machine for Christmas?
What is this? Why is my thread catching like this?

Photobucket

Photobucket

A million test pieces and tension adjustments later, along with winding a new bobbin, it was sewing like normal.

Photobucket

I successfully basted my pleats into place.

Photobucket

The next step said to "edge finish" the sides of the back slit. I was terrified, but my machine cooperated. At this point, I also wished I had done a better job selecting the color of thread, but it turns out you can't see this seam once it's finished.

Photobucket

The next step I need help with.  It said to clip the corner, which I did, but then to fold the vent to the left and baste to the stitching, as shown.  The diagram showed me nothing, at least nothing that made sense.  I played with it forever and gave up.  I think I need to check if there's any dresses in my closet with back vents and see how it's done.  I could easily walk and sit in the dress, so maybe I don't even need the vent.
Photobucket

Finally, I sewed my skirt to the bodice, careful to match up the seams with the pleats and darts.

Photobucket

All that's left is the hem and the zipper!

No comments:

Post a Comment