Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thanks to everyone who replied to my last post with suggestions on my hydrangea dress!  I'm still deciding what to do, so I haven't made any progress since. I looked through my closet and my photo albums for inspiration. I also realized that I have a serious habit of wearing sheer blue floral vintage dresses to weddings.

This one is actually a two-piece. I've worn the skirt separately with a plain top. The only "embellishment" is a bow at the neck. The skirt is pleated. 

Photobucket

 This one has a pretty plain bodice, and it's similar to my Butterick pattern, but the skirt has cascading ruffles and the matching belt has a flower rosette. The back is a very low V.  (And Mike had really long hair for the first few years we were dating!)

Photobucket

This one has a draped overlapping v-neck bodice (and a crazy matching jacket/shawl thing I have not worn!)  The skirt is softly gathered and there is piping at the waist.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

This dress is the most ornate of the blue floral brigade, with it's ruching all over the place and giant full skirt. I also think it's the least flattering of the bunch.  It does funny things to my boobs and the length is awkward.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I think I want to stick with the bodice I had originally planned on, but maybe add one of these elements for some interest. Maybe some ruffles on the skirt? Or a matching belt? I am definitely not going to make the Butterick skirt, that's for sure.  I can't even deal with the skirt on my muslin right now.  The thought of trimming and hemming it makes me crazy.  Maybe something more manageable, but still full?  This is still my favorite homemade dress, and I've substituted this skirt on several patterns, and I always like how it turns out.  It's my front-runner right now, along with a matching belt with a rosette.

Photobucket

My sewing is not at all focused right now.  I got distracted and started a quilt?  I'm blaming Tasia.  I hope to make a lot of progress on both the quilt and this dress this weekend. 

4 comments:

  1. There is definitely a clear theme in your choice of vintage style dresses! Not that there's anything wrong with that as they're all gorgeous...my personal favourite actually is the last one ;o)

    I managed to miss Tasia's post on quilting (so thank you), but I've definitely had a quilting itch for a while now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all these dresses are so beautiful! I could not even choose which suits you better) I like all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those dresses are all so cute and look so cute on you!! I love the fabrics and colors...you have great style!! My favorite is the first one, but I'm always partial to that bodice style and the skirt is adorable!! I wish I had half your talents!!


    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue is really your colour....
    Love the ruffled skirt :-)
    I have also made up the butterick pattern. It comestogether nicely though I found that the middle band wouldn't sit flat on me because I am well endowed in the chest region. Good luck, can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete

Followers