Saturday, February 23, 2013

More Estate finds and a wedding dress

Happy Saturday, everyone.

Yesterday during lunch, I went to week 2 of the amazing estate sale. The listing said they unearthed a couple storage units plus cleaned out the basement. There weren't any additional patterns or fabric, but I did pick up a few things. I will never need to buy bias tape again. I paid $15 for this and there are like a hundred packets (there is another row underneath what you see). Some of them are plaid! Striped! Polka dots!

Photobucket

 More baby clothes.

Photobucket
 
PhotobucketPhotobucket

And a crinoline (which I didn't take a picture of because well, you all know what a crinoline looks like.) I temporarily moved my sewing room into the guest bedroom, and started on a muslin for a dress for Mike's brother's wedding. It's hard, though. Nothing is where it's supposed to be, there isn't a convenient outlet for the iron, and my cutting table is in another room. I've been missing sewing though, so it will have to do. Mike's brother Bill is getting married in May, and Mike is the best man. I figure I might be in a lot of pictures, so I want to wear something really special, something I really really love. My favorite pattern from the estate sale was this one:

Photobucket

I plan on making View C, with the cummerbund from View A. The pattern is a 32, and I'm a 36. I didn't want to cut the pattern apart (I still might sell it, we'll see), so I traced it onto tissue. And then I made the bodice, as is, with no alterations, just to see what I was working with. Obviously, it was too small.

Photobucket

The armholes are too high, and the waist too small. The seam under the bust was right across my boobs.

Photobucket

The back almost fit, though. It was just a little tight.

Photobucket

So I took it apart, and then cut the pieces apart to make my new pattern. I cut right through the armhole and added 2 inches of length. Then I added 2 inches in the bust, and 1 in the back. Too big now!!

Photobucket Photobucket

So yeah, that was too much. I got tired of looking at the yellow polka dots, so I decided to make a wearable muslin from some pink embroidered fabric I got at the Elkhorn Flea. I had 5 yards and it was barely enough! I wanted to cut around a moth hole, but there was no way I could, so it's in the back. The bodice turned out nice. I added 1.5 inches to the bust, 1 to the back, and 2 in length. This fabric was looser-woven and stretchier than the yellow dots, so I had some trouble with fitting the waistband (which is cut on the bias). I staystiched it and that help.

Photobucket

The skirt was a soul crushing nightmare. Four GIGANTIC pieces, cut on the bias, and then gathered. First, I sewed the skirt on inside out. After I almost had a little cry, I ripped it out and tried again. Now it's done and hanging before I can hem it.

Photobucket

Um, but I kind of don't like it. The bodice is kind of boring. The skirt is overwhelming. I am a little "meh" about it. I'm not sure if it's the dress I want to wear now! It might be less boring in my real fabric:

Photobucket

But I don't know if I want to take the chance of wasting that awesome piece of fabric and not loving it. I might move on and try another pattern. We'll see. I'll put a hem and zipper in my muslin and try it on with heels and my hair done and see how I feel.

What do you think? 

8 comments:

  1. If I was you I'd make view A with that sheer fabric and use white for the under layer and blue for the cumberbund. I think that would look really nice and the sheer overlay might make the bodice less boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would take off the skirt and maybe try it with box pleats. Then you get the full skirt but with a more stylish look than just heavy waist gathers. Look at the google images: https://www.google.com/search?q=dress+with+box+pleats&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS451US451&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=60EpUdH7G9GsqAGRtIC4Bg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=785
    I have really liked skirts made with them and I think they look less "home-made." That fabric is sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't like it.... I do. I think the pink would be a good contrast to me red hair.

    http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the suggestion of view A is a good one. I personally like the plain basic bodice it is a good place to feature for a busy print. The skirt of course is designed to wear with a petticoat, which would make all the difference. You could also just embellish the bodice add buttons or bow(s) to the front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the bodice is kinda boring. But it's hard to tell on the hanger. I really like the fabric, I used hydrangeas in my bridesmaids bouquets and centerpieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you try putting it on the dressform with the crinoline underneath? I made a 50's skirt for my daughter and it was a totally different skirt with and without the crinoline!! Oh, and the fabric makes such a difference!! I made two skirts at the time...mainly so she'd even try one!! lol!! (Teenagers!!) I chose a standard blend and she chose a taffeta-type. I have to say her choice was better when it was all said and done. The crinoline definitely helped the blend have shape, but the taffeta had that really cute and classic shape all the way down...if that makes sense!! lol!!! All that to say don't give up on this dress!! It is a classic Audrey Hepburn-style that would look so fantastic on you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it! Kat's idea is a good one to spice it up a little. I think adding the cummerbund will definitely make it more interesting and pleasing to the eye. And the big print of your hydrangea fabric will compliment the simple design! :) Have you tried making a sketch of the dress in your hydrangea fabric to kinda get a feel for how it will look? That helps me make my final decision sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! I saw it hanging in your sewing room remodel pics and thought "oooo that's cute! Wonder if she made it"

    ReplyDelete

Followers