Saturday, February 9, 2013

The New & Improved Blue Coat

So, my beloved blue coat?

Photobucket

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

That I re-made?

Photobucket

Well, I re-re-made it.

Photobucket

I love my aqua coat, but I was still really missing my beloved blue coat. The aqua one is great and I will still wear it, but I decided I wanted to make a true replica. After two fabric ordering mishaps - one the wrong color, and one the perfect color, but the moire pattern PRINTED ON (the horror), I found the right stuff. My aqua coat feels rather thin - I interfaced per the directions, but it's just not very warm or substantial. I took apart Original Blue, and to my surprise, every piece is interfaced with weft, and there's a separate cotton yoke across the back and chest for stability.

Photobucket

They used horsehair interfacing on the jacket front.

Photobucket

And a strip of cotton in the hem. I'm guessing for weight?

Photobucket

So, I followed suit. I found weft interfacing, which was not an easy task. One Joann's had a bolt with a little left but not enough, and the other Joann's had none and didn't even know what it was. I drove an hour and a half to Vogue Fabrics in Evanston, IL to pick up the rest. I also made the cotton yoke, and sewed a strip of bias tape inside the hem. I used a plain blue heavy satin for the lining. My husband kept telling me to pick a prettier lining fabric, like polka dots or a print, but I was really dead-set on everything being exactly like the original. The fabric was really slippery and I had trouble doing the sleeves. You can see some bunches, but it's totally not visible with the coat on, so I don't care.

Photobucket Photobucket

I made 7 bound buttonholes. I would say 5 are great, 1 could be better, and 1 sucks. I can live with that. The top one is the sucky one - the lips overlap each other so it's sort of not functional. I'll never button that one, anyway.

Photobucket

I used Julia Bobbin's tutorial for finishing the buttonhole and it turned out great.

Photobucket

So how do I feel about the new coat?

Photobucket

I love it! When I wear it, it feels exactly like the original. I am extremely happy with it. I've worn it nearly every day since I finished it.

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. love the obsession! Now, don't re-re-remake it. They both look beautiful, well done. What pattern is this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a good thing to include! Jeez. Sorry. It's Simplicity 5928 from 1973, but I used the collar from a Simplicity housecoat pattern.

      Delete
    2. it's gorgeous. I think this maybe your "signature piece." Post a pic of the pattern sometime! Curious to see it.

      Delete
  2. It looks amazing! I'm so glad you could replace the original as you look so happy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowzers!!! The first new blue coat is lovely, and this one is gorgeous. It's interesting to see the inside of the original (it must have been scary cutting into it!). And an hour and a half drive for the right interfacing! That's sewing dedication. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I'm glad you decided to make a replica. Sometimes its so hard to get something exactly the same! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Glad you decided to make a replica too. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great! I am glad you persevered and got exactly what you wanted for all of your hard work! Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The new coat is fantastic. Worth all your hard work. Such an education to open something up and have a look at the insides. I haven't done it before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you! You most certainly must of loved that coat but what an incredible journey to recreate such a favorite!

    P.S.

    Yes Carrie's Grammy performance was dull but I was just so enthralled by her dress I hardly paid attention to anything else!

    ReplyDelete

Followers