Monday, November 5, 2012

Almost there!

Wow, you guys had some really nice things to say about my attempt at bound buttonholes.  Thanks!  Your words of encouragement mean so much to me.  I worked a ton on it this weekend and I am DONE with the outer part of the coat.  It's hemmed and everything!  Also topstitched, which I realized I will have to rip out a little of to do the lining.  Whoops.

So here it is as of Saturday.  The collar is different than my beloved blue coat, which I was okay with at the time.  It looked nice on my mannequin.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I made a mistake when sewing the collar to the interfacing. Instead of pivoting at the seam, I sewed down 5/8". I didn't realize until after I had trimmed and turned it inside right.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

You couldn't tell once the collar was folded down, at least. Then I tried it on and realized that it looked weird when the top button was undone.  And then I started to have doubts about the collar.  It looked too big, it came up too high on my neck, the lapels too wide.  So then I trimmed and re-sewed it.  And it was crooked.  So I trimmed more.  You see where this is going?  Around midnight Saturday, I took the collar off and cut a new one.  It was a little scary, but I am SO glad I did it.  Now it's just like my favorite coat!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Slimmer sleeves!!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App 

I love the belt. I am still on the search for perfect buttons.

 Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

So, next step is going to be the lining. I'll give you a little hint: POLKA DOTS.

11 comments:

  1. beautiful coat and you look FABULOUS in it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing!! And I love the new collar, and polka dot lining will look fab. Good luck with the rest of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! love the color, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like thw pattern a lot, I love that kind of coat patterns. I want it!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you're so fast...this is almost finished! It really does look just like your old, beloved coat - what a great job you're doing. And the altered colour looks way better ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. can't you use the buttons from your old coat?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's looking fantastic Amy!!! I'm really enjoying seeing you blogging again, love from Australia, Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. CUTE!!! It looks great so far! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you've done an amazing job!! I love your bound button holes, well done :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers