Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Summer Updates

Summer is getting busy and there hasn't been as much time for sewing the last couple weeks.  We went camping the first weekend in June, and last weekend, we went to a baseball game on Friday, a birthday party in Chicago on Saturday, and Locust St. Fest on Sunday.  In addition to that, I joined a gym and have been taking group fitness classes.  All of this is cutting significantly into my sewing time.  I'm not fretting, though. I have a few projects in the works that I am excited to start.

First off, let me share a few pictures of me wearing my Flag Day dress!  I wore it Sunday to the Locust St Festival and I even did the Beer Run in it.  It's 1.8 miles with 4 beer stops.  Okay, I walked.  I've run it other years, but I didn't want to have to bring clothes to change into, and I didn't want to walk around the rest of the day all sweaty.

 photo null-7-1.jpg

 photo null-8-1.jpg

I had around 8 people come up to me and say they liked my dress and asked where I got it. Several people said they would buy it if I sold them. Hmmm. It's tempting, but I know that once I start doing that, it will become an obligation and it won't be fun anymore. I am pretty happy with sewing things just for myself.

My next project is going to be to recreate this dress I saw for sale on Etsy. It's priced reasonably for a great vintage dress, but it's not my size and I know that I can make myself something similar.

 photo null-6.png photo null-7.png

Cute, hey?!  If anyone would like to buy it, I found it here. I bought this vintage curtain panel, also on Etsy, for $15.  Since I already have a pattern, that's all the dress is costing me.

 photo df89bdc9-984b-439c-9318-7dbe19797b31.jpg

I am hoping to start on that this weekend! Oh, I have one more exciting thing to share with you! I decided to enter a few things in the Wisconsin State Fair. They have a Textile & Craft exhibition, and I am entering in four categories. The one I am most excited about is Class 10: Independent Pattern - using an independent pattern company pattern. Rad. It's like that one was made for me. Obviously I am entering my Colette Chantilly. I think I've got this one in the bag.

 photo 8D7EDE27-46B5-4178-BA7D-93E7E4F1855D-1199-0000024FD6C285E3.jpg

I am also entering in Class 6: Adult Full Costume. Hopefully my hard work on Effie Trinket will pay off!

 photo 0013.jpg

Thirdly, I am doing Class 12: One Piece Dress. I'm entering the Flag Day dress because it's one of the most nicely-finished dresses I've made, and I think they will appreciate my patriotic spirit!

 photo IMG_2425.jpg

Lastly, I submitted an entry for Class 8: Cocktail, Dinner, or Bridesmaid dress. I am not sure what I am going to make yet! I have until July 16th to drop it off at the fair, so that should give me plenty of time to decide.

I'm off to enjoy the weather.  Happy summer, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. How fun to enter your garments into the competition. Hope you do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Effie dress!!!! And again- impressed by your skills girl... The flag day dress is toooooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You SO have colette chantilly in the bag! And I love your flag dress! I think I have that pattern saved to my Etsy favs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled upon your blog. Love your work. I should start making my 23 year-old daughter dresses from vintage patterns! (She has no sewing/craft abilities or I would encourage her to do it.
    How often have you been told that you look like Jennifer Love Hewitt? I am a 56 year old woman, so don't get all freaked out. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks! I haven't gotten compared to JLH before. I got Sarah Palin a LOT in 2008.

      Delete

Followers