Monday, June 6, 2011

Still Repurposing: McCalls M6331

Photobucket

I am still hard at work on my McCalls romper repurposed from an ugly Burda dress.  I did a few more hours of work on it last night, and now I have basically everything done but the finicky stuff - attaching the bodice to the shorts, hem, zipper.

I couldn't find lining in the right color of purple, so I used this Robert Kaufman Kona cotton in Lagoon.  It was $5.99/yard and I only needed one.  I've never used Robert Kaufman fabric before and I am definitely going to be using it again.  It's so sturdy and thick and irons like a dream.  It's vastly better than Joann's Symphony broadcloth and only $2 more/yard.

Photobucket

I mentioned in my last post that the bodice is self-lined, meaning that you cut 4 of each bodice piece out of your main fabric and use two of the pieces as lining.  Truthfully, I don't really ever see the point to that, especially if your fabric is a print on a light background where it would possibly show through.  I usually just use a contrasting cotton.  In this case, there is a piece of the lining that folds over and is visible on the outside.  To remedy that, I cut just the bodice points out of some scraps of my seersucker and pieced it together with the lining.

Photobucket

Then I placed my pattern piece on top just to make sure it was perfect, and just trimmed off a little excess.

Photobucket

Here's what it looks like from the inside:

Photobucket

And outside. Pretty, hey?

Photobucket

Lastly, I made the lining for the shorts.

Photobucket

Shorts are done! I even have the left leg bias-taped and ready to be hemmed. Then I ran out of purple thread. I'm hoping to have everything finished tonight save for the zipper and hemming the legs.

Photobucket

In the spirit of repurposing, I also gave a makeover to a little dresser I found in the alley.  It was sad and scuffed and needed some love.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And after! A few coats of paint and some new knobs and my sewing desk has a mate. I'm going to put all my fabric in it, which is currently precariously piled on a wire rack.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Happy Repurposing!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so jealous of your gorgeous new (to you) dresser! The colours you picked are great. Your fabric is very lucky to have somewhere so nice to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe you found that dresser! It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dresser is great! Your paint job looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the dresser looks great and the fabrics match really well, I have been hearing good things about the Robert Kaufman Kona fabric so I may have to try it out for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Amy your dresser is a*m*a*z*i*n*g!!! Sam xox

    ReplyDelete