Wednesday, June 1, 2011
One Pattern, Seven Bloggers: Finished!
Six weeks ago, six bloggers and I set out to make this Burdastyle dress and put our own personal spin on it. Muslins have been made, fabric has been selected, tutorials have been done, and now it's time for the big reveal!
My inspiration for my dress was a winter-turning-to-spring, simpler times kind of thing, and I think I acheived that. I love how it turned out. It's the perfect summer dress for hanging out in the yard and grilling. The best part is, it only cost $10 to make! $5 for the pattern, $2 for the fabric, and $3 for the eyelet ruffle around the bottom.
The bodice ended up a little loose on top, but I'm okay with that. You don't want something clinging to your flesh on a hot summer day.
Obligatory photo with a surly orange cat!
The entire dress is lined in comfy cotton muslin and it feels really good to wear. It's so soft. The great thing about this pattern is that it's really a blank canvas. You can dress it up or dress it down depending on the fabric and embellishments. When I make it again (and you know I will, I'm all about sewing multiples) I want to use a dressier fabric for going out. The only changes I made to the original pattern were adding a full lining and making the neckline higher. The original neckline was REALLY low. Like obscene-style on me. I raised it about 1.5".
There isn't a pattern piece for the skirt - the instructions just say to gather a rectangle of fabric. I took some liberties and used four yards of fabric in that skirt! It was about an inch thick when I was sewing through the gathers. I used my serger to attach the ruffle which ended up being a huge time saver. No hemming! Hemming that much skirt would have taken me hours.
The rest of the ladies already have their big reveals posted, so make sure you stop by their blogs to see!