Monday, October 29, 2012

Halloween!!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my last two posts!  I'm really proud of my costume and I'm glad other people like and appreciate it.

It turned out pretty awesome, if I do say so myself.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

This costume was such a treat to make! I loved researching Effie and trying to make an exact replica of something just by looking at a picture.  I learned that I am a better sewer than I give myself credit for! 

I had a little bit of a challenge with the belt, having never made one before.  I bought a covered buckle kit from a crafts website, and that was actually pretty easy.  But then I didn't know how the make the actual belt.  I couldn't find 2" wide belting anywhere.  I tried cardboard, but it was too thick and wouldn't go through the buckle.  I ended up just using some webbed belt stuff and interfacing it.  It turned out great!  Since the fabric was slippery and the belt didn't want to stay in place very well, I put some velcro on the waistband to keep it from twisting around. 

My husband went as Riker from Star Trek. I think he got more attention than I did! Everyone thought he was hilarious. No one at the party really knew who I was supposed to be. That was a little disappointing. Oh well, I loved the costume and that's all that matters, right?

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Saturday we went to a bar and I fared much better with costume recognition. I was in the finals for the costume contest but did not end up winning anything.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

My friends Lori and Dirk went as Karl Lagerfeld and his cat Choupette, which I thought was utterly hilarious. I kept telling Karl to say something scathing. Hahaha. Karl Lagerfeld is such an asshole.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

My sis went as a mermaid and got groped by an Olympic Gold medalist.  Hamm Sandwich!  Watch the hands there, Paul!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

So all in all, Halloween was an awesome night! I loved my costume so much and I seriously want an excuse to wear it again. Catching Fire premiere? Comic-Con? I'll find an excuse!

6 comments:

  1. I love your costume!!! It turned out so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--your costume turned out beautiful!!! I would totally be itching to wear it again too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your costume turned out amazing! Boo on no one knowing who it was, although your husband's costume is pretty dead-on, too. You should totally wear your costume to the movie premiere or Comic Con. You'd definitely get more reactions at either of those events.

    How amusing about your sister getting groped by a Hamm brother. I always forget they're local celebrities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out so good, well done! I can't even imagine tackling something like this without a real pattern to follow ;o) You should have won the prize though for sure...silly people!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It really turned out fabulous! What a bummer more people didn't get it.... I hate when that happens. And thanks for the Karl Lagerfield shot- I think I know what I'm going to be next year, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to wear this to the next film- it would be amazing!!!
    What a great job on this dress, I am soo impressed :D I daren't dream of doing something so complicated with or without at pattern!
    Freya May
    thedressmakingdiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers