Saturday, October 13, 2012

Almost done with the Halloween Costume!

Once I had my bodice mostly done, the rest came together super easily.  It's hard to tell from the last photo I posted, but the skirt is a pencil skirt with a bubble skirt over it.  Like so:

Photobucket

I used a pencil skirt pattern already in my collection, and I just winged it with the bubble part.  I wanted it to be super full and poufy, so I gathered more than two yards to make it!  It was so thick it was hard to sew through, but once I got the waistband on, it looked fine.

Photobucket

The rest of the bodice was pretty easy, too. I pinned it on my dress form and cut it down the middle. Then I played around with a few collars. I used a collar piece from a dress pattern I had, and just made it longer, but it didn't really lay the way I wanted it to. It was too flat, and Effie's collar kind of sticks up in the back. So in the end I just used a super long strip of fabric folded in half. It was super easy and looks just how I wanted. From there, I pinned the collar in place, sewed it on, and then trimmed away the excess fabric from the bodice.

  Photobucket

Here's a closeup of the seam detail.

Photobucket

And the back.

Photobucket

And finally, the whole shebang.

Photobucket

I am SO pleased with how it turned out. All I have left to do now is the belt and the blouse, but the blouse will be super easy. It's more like a scarf, really. The only minor issue I am having is that the bodice likes to come untucked from the skirt because the fabric is slippery. I'm thinking I can either tuck the blouse into my underwear to keep it in place, or maybe I can put a little piece of velcro or a snap on the waistband of the skirt and the back of the blouse to hold it all together.

This fabric was surprisingly not bad to work with. It shredded like crazy, but since it's really plasticy, I just used a lighter to melt the seams! It worked perfectly and I have no fraying and didn't have to use seam binding. I've got pink false eyelashes and a pink wig coming from a friend that works at a costume website, and I still have to figure out shoes. I decided that if we go to a party at someone's house, I'm wearing these:

Photobucket
I don't want to risk them getting dirty, so if we go to a bar, I'm probably just going to find some thrift store shoes and paint them gold. We'll see! I really want to wear the Miu Miu's, but they're my babies and I'm not taking a chance on someone spilling on me or stepping on my foot.

Eek!  I am so excited for Halloween!

8 comments:

  1. Wowowow! That looks just like Effie's costume! You're going to look ahhhhmazing. You'll win every costume contest

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is awesome- I'm quite inspired! Enjoy Halloween- not long to go :D
    Freya May
    thedressmakingdiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looking super brilliant...I hope there's a competition (or ten) that you can enter, you'll win hands down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so fabulous, can't wait to see the whole outfit together! Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm... wow!!! This is going to be one uber-cool costume!!!! Love those shoes - a perfect match! Have you got a wig? :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks soooooooooooo dope. I am happy I am not the only 'Ween nerd out there. My costume this year is going to be.... intense. Also, THOSE MIUS! I've been lusting on them them for a long time... at first I kinda hoped they were knockoffs (I just shamefully bought a pair of Isabel Marant knockoff platform sneakers on ebay) but nope, you're classy and went for the real deal. If my Hallwoeen experiences are any indication, not wearing them to a crowded bar is probably a really goo idea. Can't wait to see the whole shebang!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great costume, Fancy shoes. What patterns did you borrow from? I love making costumes too.

    ReplyDelete

Followers