Monday, December 30, 2013

Top 5 Hits of 2013

Hi! Happy New Year, everyone! I know I have been MIA for a while, but I can never resist a year-end rundown or a hits/misses list. I haven't necessarily been taking an official break from sewing, but I have been spending a lot more time tailoring or altering clothes I already have. I recently took two HUGE boxes of clothes to Goodwill and it made me feel bad about how much stuff I have. So I am trying to make do with less. Also I have been going to the gym a lot lately, and I noticed that when I work out a lot, my sewing suffers. Conversely, when I sew a lot, my working out suffers! I seem to only be capable of having two hobbies at a time (and cello will always be my #1 focus). So without further adieu, here are my bests of 2013!

#5: "All The Way Mae Halloween costume.

 photo IMG_3157.jpg

Is it unfair to put a costume on my list? I am doing it, sorry. I love this costume so hard. I ended up wearing it FIVE times. I went to two parties the weekend before Halloween, one the weekend after, and then I wore it to orchestra rehearsal the night before Halloween and to work the day of. I was so sad when I had to pack it away! I wish there were more times in year to wear a costume.

#4: White Eyelet Sewaholic Alma.

 photo IMG_2287.jpg

I've made a couple Alma's in my day, but this summery white eyelet is my A#1. I wore it to death this year and I am already counting down the days until I can pull it out again. I love that it's simple but not boring for days I really just want to wear jeans.

#3: Colette Patterns paisley rayon Chantilly.

 photo CD9E08C6-C9DB-4A1B-AE10-351479C4E31D-422-000000E46ECFDAA0.jpg

If you would have asked me earlier this year what my #1 was going to be, I for sure would have said this dress. It turned out so nice, better than anything else I have ever made. The reason it has slid down to #3 is because I lost some weight since I made it and it's a little loose now, and it seems really daunting to try to take it in. So many seams! So much lining! It is still a great dress that I have worn a million times, but it's not quite as flattering as it used to be.

#2: Patriotic Vintage Simplicity.

 photo null-8-1.jpg

Based on my tagged photos on Facebook, you would think I wore this dress every day this summer. I probably did! I have made this Simplicity pattern quite a few times before, but this one is my favorite. This is one I entered in the State Fair (and won a ribbon for women's one-piece dress) so I made sure everything is finished impeccably. I hand-picked the zipper and bound every seam with a cute contrasting bias binding. Even though it's way too cold to wear now, I couldn't bear to pack this one away in my summer tub. It's still in my closet, waiting for a warm day.

#1: RE-re-make of vintage blue coat.

 photo null_zpsce773c61.jpg

My second attempt at remaking my vintage blue coat is by far my #1 favorite item! I wore this well into December and froze my butt off, but it was worth it. It brightens up every outfit and just makes me so happy. It's a perfect replacement for my beloved. Also, here's a bonus shot of my new short hair! It's been about two months since I cut it, and I still really love it. I miss my bun on weekends, but it still fits in a ponytail.

Happy 2014, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. This is great!! Look forward to seeing what you're sewing. I'm starting a sewing challenge as well. Check out my blog if you can!

    intotheaugustred.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That costume is to die for! Great stuff all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great outfits, awesome pictures. Will you be coming back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Followers