Monday, March 7, 2011

Fraternal Twins and MMM Day 5

In the absence of sewing, I've been spending a lot of time looking on eBay and Etsy.  I was mostly looking for patterns, and I found a blouse one I loved, but when I went to purchase it, it was money order only.  What a bummer.  There's no way I'm driving to the bank on my lunch hour to get a money order.  Instead, I decided to look for some vintage blouses, and I came across this guy:

Photobucket

It is the fraternal twin to my swimsuit!

Photobucket

The strangest part is they aren't even the same brand!  I love it when I come across a vintage piece similar to one of my own.

Other things I did this weekend in place of sewing:
  • Spa treatments!  I got a facial, a pedicure, and my eyebrows waxed. 
  • Coffee!  I met my sister and a friend at a cafe and had coffee and caught up.
  • Cooking!  I made corned beef on Saturday (St. Patty's Day tradition) and enchiladas on Sunday.
  • Netflix!  I watched 4 episodes of Say Yes to the Dress.
  • Laundry!  I did a billion loads and I actually folded them and put them away.
I also went out on Saturday for a friend's birthday, and in honor of Me-Made March, I wore this little number I whipped up a few weeks ago.

Photobucket

KIDDING! I actually cheated and did not wear something homemade, which turned out to be a really good thing.  As I was leaving the restaurant, I brushed against a corner of a booth which had really sharp wood splinters and snagged the hell out of my dress.  I'm so glad I was just wearing a cheapie thing from Target and not something I loved, because it's ruined.  I can salvage it by shortening it into a top, at least.

I also shipped off the 40's skirt I made for another blogger.  I hope she likes it!  I've never made clothes for someone else before, so it was a little nerve-wracking and definitely brought out my inner perfectionist.

Photobucket


I used vintage crepe for the skirt and vintage silk for the lining, and trimmed it with white lace.  Lastly, I used a carved shell button from my collection.

Photobucket

Tonight I would normally be doing tons of sewing since my husband doesn't get home until 7:30.  Instead, I am going to stop at my favorite vintage store to see if there's something I can't live without, and then I'm going to finish packing for Mexico.

A replacement for the piece I broke on my machine is already on the way from eBay, so hopefully I will be back in business when I get back from vacation!

2 comments:

  1. You have great style. I love your swimsuit. It's vintage, right? I am trying to make one up, I love that it covers but doesn't look "granny style". I also love, love your pink/peach color dress. Everything you have sewn looks professional and looks great on you. You definitely have an eye for fit and sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much fun you have found a shirt with the same fabric as your swimsuit! I am following your MMM what a great source of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Followers