Friday, August 17, 2012

I've suddenly become someone who wears pants.  I'm not sure when this shift happened, probably around the time I bought a pair of pink jeans. I wanted to wear them every day!  Then I got some dark jeans, then black ones, then green ones.  I've pretty much been eschewing dresses in favor of pants all summer long.  Which means, I need to sew tops!  I made this one right before the heat wave struck, and I never got around to photographing or blogging about it.  So I thought I'd do a quick post to share it with you.

I used Colette Patterns Sencha again, but this time I added two inches to the hem of the blouse. The last one I made came right to the top of my jeans, and I'm always yanking it down when I wear it.  I really love the fabric.  It's a light, drapey rayon from Vogue Fabrics.  Best part, it was in the remnants bin so it cost me less than $5.  Holla! 

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I really love this pattern.  The shape is super flattering, I love the keyhole neckline, and the button-back is such a sweet touch.  It reminds me of a 40's blouse, but with updated proportions.  Does anyone else have trouble with the sleeves, though?  I can never get them to turn out right.  See how it's kind of pointy on the left side there?  That always happens and I can never make it not stick out.

I had a disastrous second attempt at a Sewaholic Alma blouse the other night, so hopefully I can fix it enough so that it's wearable.  It's too tight and bunching horribly all over, and I can't figure out why.  I made the long-sleeved version this time, but that's the only difference.  The body should be exactly the same. Right now, I took the collar off and unhemmed it, and I'll see if there's anything I can do to fix the bunching.  If not, I guess I'm keeping the sleeves and re-cutting the body.  We'll see.  I'm going to work on it tonight.

I've got one more finished blouse to share with you, and then I should be all caught up!

5 comments:

  1. Cute blouse, but I am obsessed with your hair! How do you make such a perfect donut bun? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just Google "sock bun". There are tons of tutorials!

      Delete
  2. A lovely Sencha. I think blouses are my very favorite garment type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the button back and great score on the fabric!

    Maybe take a close up shot of the sleeve so everyone can see what might be going on? You could try making the sleeve hem narrower, so there's less fabric turning under. Or if you pinch in the underside of the sleeve at the hem and take off a half inch or so right at the hem, fading out to nothing under the armpit. that's just what I would try, but I'm a novice, so don't take my word for it… (anyone else ever watch Reading Rainbow as a kid?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amy!!

    It was great to meet you at FNO! I like your blog- you're quite the seamstress! This top is adorrable. We should probably be real-life friends and sew things together.

    ReplyDelete

Followers